A country home

By gregebersole

November 8, 2011

Category: Travel

Leave a Comment »

Saturday afternoon, Fernando and I caught a bus out of Cali to Km 28 and the dirt road that goes up to my Spanish teacher Marlen’s finca. Fernando, her uncle, takes care of the place. I went up to help him do some work. Since Monday was a holiday, I planned to stay until late afternoon on Monday. Sunday morning, we got up and Fernando fixed a big breakfast for us. Every time he fixed a meal, including Saturday evening and Sunday noon, he gave me a plate with about twice as much food on it as I normally eat. After breakfast, I swept the large driveway and basketball court and sidewalks. Then I helped him paint a coating of stain on the wood on the side of the main cabin. For 3 to 4 hours, I was standing on a bamboo ladder painting up as high as I could reach and over my head on the underside of the roof overhang. It was not fun and I didn’t really trust the rickety ladder. When it started raining hard, we quit. We went inside and listened to his new salsa compilation cd and then napped. About 4 p.m. or so, Marlen, her two boys, Robert and Leo, and two friends, Gritchen and Martha drove up. I soon was playing ping pong with the youngest boy, Leo. Before long, I was playing with both him and Robert. Then we played basketball, and later soccer. And at one point, Leo took me upstairs to play a German board game. Needless to say, he cleaned my clock. He was out of cards and I still had about 10 at the end of the game. Monday, we all played more sports and then, late morning, Marlen, Gritchen, Martha, Leo and I went on a long hike. In the photo, there is one of the homes we passed, complete with goats and chickens and clothes hanging up on the side of one wall. After we returned to the finca, I was soon involved in another soccer game. Robert and I played against Leo and another young woman who had arrived with her mother and younger sister. I think that’s right. Anyway, it was a hard fought game and our team won 15-14. I think I scored 3 or 4 times. I let Robert score the others. Ha! No, he’s a really good player. I just mostly tried to stay on my feet and not fall and pass him the ball so he could score. Marlen had brought up a lot of food and we had some great pasta with fish and salad for Monday mid afternoon. Lots of good food for the other meals too. Homemade whole wheat bread, cheese, salami, tuna spread, fruit and some great German apple crisp. It was a good weekend, but by the time I got home Monday evening, I was sore. My muscles were aching. I was pretty worn out from the standing on the ladder, stretching to paint and all the sports I’d played. Last night, it rained very hard and continued into mid morning. I mostly relaxed today, trying to recuperate a little. Tomorrow is Spanish class. I only have 3 more classes, then vacation.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: