An evening in Siloé

By gregebersole

May 10, 2015

Category: Travel

Leave a Comment »

Last night, I went to Siloé. Pichi had invited me to come to an event called Salsa al Mirador. A couple of foundations were sponsoring a salsa evening from 5 p.m. to 12 a.m. at the Mirador, a park and lookout about a quarter of the way up Siloé. When I arrived in Nave, at the bottom of Siloé, I found a guy with a motorcycle to take me up. I got there about 6 to 6:30 and found Pichi playing chess with a couple of guys. After their games, we went up another level to where the music was and the dancing would be. By 8 p.m., there was hardly anyone there. I asked Pichi where the crowd was. He said that people think it’s dangerous at the Mirador. Even with several cops on hand, people still didn’t come. We left soon after 8 and walked up to Lleras, stopping to visit with friends along the way. We stopped at Ely’s home to chat. He showed me the large photo of him that I took and had in my photo exhibition. He proudly displays it on the wall in his living room. After we left, Pichi and I walked various little dirt paths and sidewalks through the upper part of Siloé. It’s like a maze to me. I usually don’t have a clue where we are. Things were crazy. Many blocks had large speakers on the sidewalks blasting music out. People were hanging out everywhere. It was like the old West, anything goes. Once in awhile, when greeting a young guy somewhere, he would ask me for money. Pichi quickly defused the situation and we left on good terms. Eventually, we gave up finding a jeep or motorcycle to take me down. Pichi and I walked all the way down to Nave. I’m amazed at how many people he knew and greeted along the way, introducing me all the time, as we ambled along. After last night, even more people now know me. As we walked, Pichi told me he wanted me to come for lunch today. He’s sad that I’m leaving soon. He said he will miss me and that he feels that we are great friends. I feel the same. Before I left, we had many hugs and goodbys. I was to call his wife, Milena, at 9:30 a.m. today to confirm. Pichi had lost his cellphone again and I couldn’t contact him. I called and talked to Milena and she said she wasn’t feeling well, didn’t know about the lunch date and had a doctor’s appointment in a few days. Pichi was out visiting his mother. Oh well, by now, I know to take things that Pichi says with a grain of salt. I’ve been disappointed many times before. Plans were made and later, they fell through. People tell me it’s typical Colombia. I also had plans to make a new portrait of their family and have a large print made for them. This photo was taken as we were walking down towards Nave.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: